Global Public Affairs Specialist, APAC
Global Public Affairs Specialist, APAC
Joining Intuitive Surgical means becoming part of an organization that strives to make surgery more effective, less invasive and easier on surgeons, patients and their families.
Primary Function of Position:
As a member of the Global Public Affairs (GPA) team, the GPA Specialist is responsible for supporting all facets of the GPA team’s remit including: media relations, government and public affairs, advocacy, and thought leadership strategy around the globe. The Specialist will particularly support the team’s work, strategy and tactical execution in the APAC region.
Intuitive is looking for a talented public affairs specialist to contribute to its growing presence in the Asia-Pacific region. The Specialist will play a key role on Intuitive’s Global Public Affairs team by working on a variety of projects spanning media relations, public policy, government relations, thought leadership and advocacy focused on some of the company’s key international markets. By leveraging strong research, analytical, project management and writing skills, the Specialist will assist in preparing strategic materials, researching and developing briefs on key issues and policies and coordinating projects and initiatives that promote our company’s mission, business interests, and corporate reputation as well as advance our policy positions and relationships with key stakeholders in the region.
This is an excellent opportunity for a rising professional with a strong interest in the APAC region to join an innovative, growing company in a role with strong growth potential. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience and/or education in relevant areas such as public policy, healthcare, media relations and international affairs. This person will be a strong team player with a flexible mindset, the ability to quickly get up to speed on complex topics and collaborate with a diverse set of cross-functional stakeholders throughout a complex, matrixed organization.
- Serve as a key supporting member of Intuitive’s Global Public Affairs team – contribute to a variety of foundational activities that underpin our media and key stakeholder engagement, advocacy, policy positions and corporate reputation in the APAC region.
- Closely follow key trends in the political, media, healthcare industry and economic landscape, monitoring for coverage or major developments that impact Intuitive, its competitors and the overall business landscape.
- Develop a working knowledge of key elements that underpin Intuitive’s business globally and in the region, including but not limited to healthcare economics, reimbursement, medical device regulation and trade policy.
- Draft, edit and curate strategic materials such as policy-focused and media-oriented messaging, issues briefs for executives, talking points, presentation decks and project memos.
- Provide project management, oversight and support for diverse projects and multiple workstreams, coordinate stakeholder meetings in US and APAC region as needed.
- Liaise with stakeholders across different corporate functions, such as Marketing, Brand, Regulatory and Clinical Affairs to drive internal reviews and collaborate on projects.
- Provide support to colleagues based in or on travel in APAC markets and our Sunnyvale based APAC Public Affairs Manager as needed by coordinating activities, reviewing materials and covering key meetings/briefings as needed.
- Assist with background research and due diligence on external parties, such as political figures and third party organizations, as needed.
- Collaborate with other members of ISI’s Global Public Affairs team, including Government Affairs, Media Relations and Advocacy focused staff in other countries, to help ensure that all efforts the company undertakes are coordinated and complementary.
- Attend significant corporate meetings and potentially travel in region to engage with key stakeholders.
- Support Vice President and Manager of Global Public Affairs and other team members on projects beyond scope of work as needed.
Competency Requirements: (Competency is based on: education, training, skills and experience.) To adequately perform the responsibilities of this position, the individual must:
3-5 years of experience in a public affairs role, or relevant experience in corporate communications, public policy, public relations, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Demonstrated experience working with / interest in APAC markets, international business, healthcare and international policy.
• Willingness to learn and utilize tools such as Agile, Tableau and Salesforce to manage internal processes and gather internal data for strategic materials.
• Excellent communication skills – both written (policy, clinical or media relations) and verbal, with the ability to distil complex ideas into effective, clear, concise written material and presentations.
• Strong attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills.
• Strong, accountable project manager - ability to map out steps and milestones, multi task and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
• Ability to take initiative, move quickly, manage ambiguous situations and demonstrate flexibility under changing circumstances in a growing company.
• Willing to contribute to projects that fall outside of core responsibilities, as needed.
• Team-oriented with proven track record of results.
• Comfortable with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
• Strong PowerPoint presentation writing skills a plus.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Political Science, Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, and/or other related field;,
• Master’s degree in relevant area such as public policy, international affairs or public health desirable but not required.
Other Personal Characteristics:
- Demonstrate sound judgement and integrity, build working relationships based on mutual respect and trust.
• Be willing and able to work effectively in high-stress, high-pressure situations.
• Be a strong team player – willing to contribute to projects beyond your scope of work on short notice, committed to the success of your colleagues and the GPA team.
• Be capable and willing to offer opinions and judgements while also being able to listen intently to, and build consensus with, others.
• Demonstrate energy and enthusiasm for Intuitive’s business and mission.
- URL: https://careers.intuitive.com/jobs/200363?lang=en-us