Press Secretary, The Breakthrough Institute
Are you a savvy communications professional with ecomodernist ideals? Are you an effective communicator and strong writer with a passion for solving humanity’s biggest challenges? We are looking for a new Press Secretary to expand our reach in the media and build connections with journalists, reporters, and newsroom editors.
This role is full-time; it will initially be remote but will ultimately be in-person in our office starting in the second half of 2021. This position will report to the Director of Climate and Energy.
The Breakthrough Institute seeks candidates who bring varied experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds, and who are eager to learn about many ways of viewing the world. Our goal is to create a community that is rich with cultural, social, and intellectual diversity.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Identifies opportunities and develops media strategies and plans to elevate Breakthrough Institute’s research, mission, and goals.
- Drafts and pitches press releases.
- Manages rapid-response programs, developing messages and pitching op-eds, letters to the editor, talking points, and other media materials. Creates strategic media responses to published comments regarding the Breakthrough Institute and to the positions of elected officials, institutions, or groups.
- Performs necessary research to promote Breakthrough messages and stories, including but not limited to writing letters to the editor, reports, op-eds, press releases, fact sheets, and talking points.
- Collaborates with leadership as well as coalition partners and outside consultants, providing assistance and guidance in developing long-range media strategies. Drafts communications plans and coordinates communications work around Breakthrough Institute campaigns across internal workgroups.
- Develops relationships with reporters and serves as Breakthrough Institute point of contact for those reporters.
- Advises and assists communications staff to pitch other Breakthrough Institute messages, events, and reactions to the working press as needed.
Works with the communications team and research staff to train and develop media skills.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
- URL: https://thebreakthrough.org/about/jobs
- Position Reports To: Director of Communications
- Location: Berkeley, CA — We are currently working remotely and will be returning to a physical office later this year.
Preferred Knowledge and Skill:
B.A. degree in communications, journalism, or a closely related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
2-4 years prior experience as a journalist, media liaison, or other position involving media/press relations.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Adept with technology platforms like Cision, Meltwater, and/or Yellow Book.
Demonstrated knowledge of environmental issues and a working knowledge of the media landscape.
Ability to interact cooperatively and effectively with staff and the public.
Ability to meet strict deadlines and work effectively under pressure.
The Breakthrough Institute
- Contact Method:
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and two (2) writing samples to jobs[at]thebreakthrough.org. The writing samples should include one sample press release and another sample of your choosing.