Public Affairs Manager
Donor Network West’s mission is to save and heal lives through organ and tissue donation. We honor and respect the donors and families we serve with compassionate care, and inspire our communities to donate life. Every employee at DNW is responsible for fostering an organizational culture that is based on collaboration, support, and service. This includes being a proactive team player who strives for excellence by upholding the Donor Network West’s core values of teamwork, integrity and passion.
GENERAL JOB FUNCTION
The Public Affairs Manager is responsible for the development and execution of overarching communications strategies required to predispose the public to organ and tissue donation with the outcome of driving donor designation rates within the DNW service area. Must utilize appropriate resources, develop concise messaging for events and position on issues, and select the distribution methods and markets to target.
The Public Affairs Manager supports staff in the creation, refinement and execution of goals and campaigns as they relate to traditional and social media to ensure a targeted and consistent approach with positive return on investment. Interacts regularly with management team and organizational staff to ensure consistent brand and donation messaging. Seeks and implements creative and innovative ideas to further DNW’s mission and positively impact the culture of donation in the diverse communities served by DNW.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Is responsible for preparing a variety of reports, including but not limited to the annual report and organization newsletters.
- Is responsible for the DNW Web site design, development and content assuring accuracy and tracking effectiveness.
- Takes on leadership role in the development and implementation of communications strategic plans and goals to further DNW’s mission.
- Uses clear and concise communication internally and externally with relation to current media trending, events, talking points, and other overarching messages.
- Develops content and materials including but not limited to news releases, brochures, videos, television and radio campaigns and social media programs.
- Is responsible for media events and for mentoring organizational staff to produce effective and professional media events.
- Evaluates and measures traditional and social media opportunities.
- Prepares responses to media inquiries and evaluates the bigger picture of the potential impact. Develops appropriate responses and talking points for leadership.
- Independently generates proactive media stories and maintains excellent relationships with media partners.
- Proactively seeks and achieves opportunities to promote organization’s work locally, statewide and/or nationally.
- Proactively collaborates with other DNW Departments to assist in development of external and internal communications which support and help achieve DNW goals and mission.
- Builds and maintains strong relationships with external contacts to promote DNW’s mission regionally and nationally within the donation and transplantation field and externally with key stakeholders and community partners including traditional media channels.
- Maintains on-going relationships with key PR department representatives particularly in the higher donor volume hospitals and transplant centers for collaborative efforts and for media opportunities.
Managing and Staff Development
- Maintain a climate that attracts, retains and motivates top quality personnel. Recruit, train, appraise, supervise, support, develop, promote and guide personnel.
- Work toward integrated solutions to issues/opportunities that arise
- Effectively enable staff to perform their job functions as independently as possible by following the values, vision and direction of the organization.
- respecting and using their skills, expertise, experience and insights;
- providing direction and resources, removing barriers and helping develop people’s skills; articulating expectations and clarifying roles;
- communicating which includes helping people transform information into knowledge and learning;
- encouraging people to question organizational assumptions and ask strategic questions; ensuring quality decision-making;
- anticipating conflicts and facilitating resolution;
- engaging people in process as well as tasks
- practicing their authority, and accept their responsibility;
- modeling behavior
- coaching people to success
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Possess ability to communicate and present information clearly, effectively and concisely.
- Able to negotiate and collaborate effectively internally and externally to accomplish goals.
- Proactive and able understand the communication needs of the organization and effectively formulate and execute a plan of response independently.
- Able to clearly communicate and successfully execute this plan to internal/external stakeholders.
- Extensive knowledge of public education strategies, media relations, social media platforms, business development, and project management
- Effective at multitasking and uphold the core values of the organization, which include teamwork, integrity, and passion.
- Possess strong interpersonal, priority-setting and strategic skills.
- Requires strong attention to detail, written and verbal communication skills. The ability to work in fast-paced, dynamic environment and to adjust to new priorities is required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably with concentrated study in communication, marketing, advertising and/or public relations.
- 5 years of experience may be considered in place of educational requirements.
- 2 years professional experience in public affairs, marketing, advertising or communications with increasing job responsibilities and successful outcomes
- Bilingual ability both written and spoken in Spanish and English is highly desired.
- Web development and Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator/Suite experience a plus
- Strong sense of typography and what makes a great photo/video
- Proven experience and expertise with traditional and social media platforms.
- Experienced and effective public speaker.
- Experience writing to a variety of audiences with appropriate tone, content and language. Specific experience should include work with some of the following: community based organizations, health care agencies, media relations, event planning and work with volunteers, influential leaders.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Suite products including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Must have ability to travel within the Donor Network West service area by car. Must maintain a valid California driver’s license and current vehicle insurance based on California minimum insurance coverage standards.
- URL: https://jobs.lever.co/dnwest/6384bcc6-915c-4390-a353-ede6c0e93438
- Starts On: April 3, 2020, 11:02 p.m.