Public Information Representative II
East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) is seeking a communications professional to be a key contributor in implementing our communications strategy, using various tools to inform and build relationships with the diverse communities we serve.
The Public Information Representative II (PIR II) is the full journey-level position in the professional public information class series. This candidate will develop clear, succinct audience-appropriate written and multi-media material to communicate key messages about the water and wastewater utility’s programs, projects, services and initiatives to customers, the media, employees and other audiences and stakeholders. Under direction, the PIR II writes, edits, and produces print and electronic publications and assists in clarifying and fulfilling the communication needs of diverse audiences. The PIR II is a media relations professional who not only responds quickly and accurately to media inquiries – sometimes in emergency situations – but builds credibility for themselves and EBMUD through their media work.
The most competitive candidates for this position will have the ability to:
- Participate in and implement consequential and long-range public information projects and programs.
- Synthesize abstract, complex and technical information and editing or rewriting it for non-technical and diverse audiences; write, edit and proofread quickly and with exceptional skill, and have excellent oral communication skills.
- Work with design professionals from conception of a project through layout, design, and production on schedule and within budget to produce creative printed informational materials such as fact sheets, bill inserts and other publications, and exhibits.
- Produce on-brand digital communications for internal and external audiences, such as social media content, web pages, electronic newsletters, slide presentations and videos, direct graphic designers and professional photographers and videographers.
The salary range is $9,234 per month increasing to $9,696, $10,181, and $10,690 after 6, 18, and 30 months, respectively.
EBMUD offers an excellent benefits program that includes: paid vacation, holidays and sick leave; family health insurance coverage; family dental and vision care plans; retirement plan (reciprocal with CalPERS); 401(k), 401(a) and 457(b) tax-deferred retirement plans; transit subsidy; tuition reimbursement; and opportunities for professional growth including training and career development.
- A Bachelor's degree or its equivalent with major coursework in journalism, communications, marketing, public relations, graphic design or a related field and
- Two years of experience* as a communications staff member in public relations, journalism, communications, marketing, media relations, political science, public administration; OR as a writer, editor, or reporter in the print or broadcast media, including experience with a variety of government agencies and community and related groups.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license and have a satisfactory driving record.
Must possess the physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the class. Must be willing to work irregular hours to respond to media inquiries and attend local community meetings and occasionally travel overnight. Must be willing to conduct site visits of outlying EBMUD facilities or to attend conferences.
Employees must be willing to be on-call during nights, weekends and holidays for emergencies and media response.
Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at www.ebmud.com/jobs by 4:30 p.m., Friday, April 16, 2021. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
EBMUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability
- URL: https://www.ebmud.com/jobs
- Location: Oakland, CA
- Salary: 110,808 to 128,280 Annually
East Bay Municipal Utility District
United States of America