Senior Manager, Corporate Communications
- Description: The Senior Manager, Strategic Communications is responsible for developing, implementing and coordinating comprehensive, integrated corporate communications strategies with the goal of establishing and maintaining a favorable reputation for Blue Shield of California among stakeholders and audiences. This individual will provide strategic communications advice and counsel to management, partner across business units and departments and work with external agencies, consultants and vendors to drive proactive and reactive communications initiatives. The Senior Manager may serve as the corporate media spokesperson. This position reports to the Vice President, Corporate Communications.The Senior Manager will:
- Develop and implement comprehensive strategic communications plans in support of BSC priorities, with the goal of establishing, advancing and maintaining a favorable corporate reputation with targeted audiences, including employees, providers, brokers, public officials, opinion leaders, regulators, consumers and media.
Provide strategic communications advice and counsel to senior management. Serve on divisional and/or departmental senior leadership teams as necessary, contributing to the achievement of their strategies and goals.
Work cross-functionally with senior and middle management in one or more of the following divisions, departments or their lines of business: Markets, Health Care Quality and Affordability (HCQA) Law, Finance, IT, Human Resources, Customer Experience, Government Affairs, Finance and Corporate Development, Corporate Citizenship and the Blue Shield of California Foundation, and other departments as necessary.
Oversee, develop and/or support corporate communications campaigns and strategies on corporate priorities. Write, edit and/or approve, disseminate and coordinate messaging on issues or programs for use by all communications representatives in the company, including talking points, FAQs, statements, news releases, blog posts, letters, alerts and other documents.
Participate in and contribute to crisis communications planning, including contributing to the corporate crisis plan, crisis management training, crisis app maintenance, installation and training, coordination with business continuity and the development and implementation of crisis simulation exercises for the senior leadership team and subject matter experts.
Anticipate and manage issues and threats to Blue Shield’s reputation, proactively prepare for potential issues, and respond quickly to unforeseen issues, in coordination with multiple departments and internal stakeholders. If necessary quickly organize, manage and lead cross-functional teams. Based on the magnitude of the issue, implement and facilitate use of the company’s Issue Management Playbook.
- Work in close partnership with the External Affairs Reputation and Thought Leadership practice to develop thought leadership initiatives and prepare executives for external engagements, meetings and/or speaking opportunities through coaching and the development of presentations, messaging documents, speeches and talking points.
Establish and manage relationships with the media (reporters, editors) and social media contributors, serving as on-the-record spokesperson. Promote Blue Shield messages and strategy through media relations. Respond to media inquiries on issues, working to minimize negative coverage. Pitch positive stories about Blue Shield products or programs to news reporters, or assess and respond to media queries that advance company positions.
- Contribute to the development of the annual budget with responsibility for team, department or functional area results in terms of planning, cost and methods; identify resource needs and objectives
- Location: San Francisco, CA
- Starts On: Oct. 12, 2017, 10:54 a.m.
- Code: 17002KX
Desired Skills and Experience
BS/BA with 10+ years’ experience in strategic communications, including a demonstrated track record of providing advice and counsel to management, developing and executing successful communications strategies and programs. Advanced degree a plus
Strong interest in health care and the ability to create thoughtful, original content
Broad understanding of all facets of communications, including knowledge and understanding of social media
Demonstrated ability to think strategically and create strategic and implementation plans that drive results
Significant experience in creating or writing corporate information, including fact sheets, biographies, public reports, speeches, PowerPoint presentations and web content
Flexibility to manage competing priorities and shift focus as determined by the changing needs of the department and/or business
Familiarity with online news outlets and public relations techniques
Team player with strong leadership qualities and in-depth
Spirit of innovation and willingness to define the undefined and be motivated by the mutual success of their clients and their career
Blue Shield of CA