PRSA SF Bay Area Chapter Awards
The Foggies PR Awards
The PRSA San Francisco Bay Area Chapter Awards Program (The Foggies) recognizes the San Francisco Bay Area’s best public relations programs and the brightest professionals who bring them to life. Entries should demonstrate the highest standards in our profession and showcase the importance of public relations in the Bay Area business community.
This awards program is open to public relations and communications professionals from agencies, consultancies, in-house teams and nonprofits from across the Bay Area. You've done the hard work – time to show it off!
2023 Competition Deadlines
Applications open on May 1, 2023. The regular entry deadline is June 30, 2023, with a late submission period through July 15, 2023 (late fee applies).
Stay informed on all things Foggies by signing up for the PRSA-SF chapter newsletter here.
PRSA SF Bay Area Chapter Member: $99 Regular Rate
PRSA National Member: $125 Regular Rate
Non-PRSA Member: $150 Regular Rate
Early Bird Rate: May 1 - 10, 2023 ($25 discount)
Regular Rate: May 11 - June 30, 2023
Late Entry Period: July 1 - 15, 2023 (additional $25 fee applies)
Remember: You can start your application at any time (locking in a lower rate), and update or finish until the submission deadline.
2023 Foggies Awards Ceremony
Mark your calendars for the evening of Thursday, October 5, 2023! Details are still forthcoming, but those interested in sponsoring the event should reach out to Katina Tinka Bush at email@example.com.
Categories & Winners
- Leadership Award: This award recognizes an individual for exemplary contributions to the PRSA San Francisco Bay Area Chapter. Finalists are formally nominated by the PRSA-SF Board of Directors, and presented to Awards Committee for consideration.
- 2022 Winner: Jocelyn Arellano, Zeno Group
- 2021 Winner: John McCartney, Jmac PR
- Small Agency of the Year - 1 - 20 (in Bay Area offices): This award celebrates the accomplishments of a PR agency with less than 20 employees.
- 2022 Winner: af&co
- 2021 Winner: Bospar
- 2020 Winner: Singer Associates
- 2019 Winner: Landis Communications
- Midsize Agency of the Year - 20 - 49 (in Bay Area offices): This award celebrates the accomplishments of a PR agency with 20 - 49 employees. Sponsor: Businesswire
- 2022 Winner: Zeno Group
- 2021 Winner: Hotwire PR
- 2020 Winner: Highwire PR
- Large Agency of the Year - 50+ (in Bay Area offices): This award celebrates the accomplishments of a PR agency with more than 50 employees.
- Best In-House PR Team of the Year - This award celebrates the accomplishments of an in-house PR team.
- 2019 Winner: Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE)
- Rising Star of the Year (1 - 5 years of experience) - This award celebrates the accomplishments of a young professional in the public relations profession. It recognizes the spirit of the next generation of leaders and awards a young professional with less than five (5) years of experience.
- 2022 Winner: Sarah Mattina, JetBlue Technology Ventures
- 2021 Winner: Sarah Mattina, JetBlue Techology Ventures
- 2019 Winner: Katie Parr, UPRAISE Marketing & Public Relations
- Professional of the Year (5+ years of experience) - This award honors the accomplishments of one exceptional public relations professional. It recognizes the professional achievements and activities that have advanced the profession and the practice of public relations during the year.
- 2022 Winner: Susan Thomas, 10Fold Communications
- 2021 Winner: Curtis Sparrer, Bospar
- 2020 Winner: Curtis Sparrer, Bospar
- 2019 Winner: Annie Dreshfield, Scoop
Project & Campaign Recognition:
- DE&I Campaign of the Year - This award celebrates a PR campaign that embodies and demonstrates key values in diversity, equity and inclusion.
- 2020 Winner: Landis Communications, "Becoming Independent"
- 2019 Winner: Porter Novelli, “Porter Novelli Perspectives: We Stand For Love”
- Campaign of the Year - This award celebrates the best overall public relations campaign from the past year. Sponsor: Cision
- 2022 Winner: Delta Dental of California, "National Smile Month/Mes Nacional de la Sonrisa"
- 2021 Winner: Walker Sands and Iterable, "Navigating the 2020 Holiday Shopping Season"
- 2020 Winner: Ketchum and the California Milk Advisory Board, “Farm to You Field Trips”
- 2019 Winner: Landis Communications, “LCI Opens New Sutter Health CPMC Hospital in the Heart of San Francisco”
- Standout Tactic of the Year - This award celebrates a single tactic that rose above the rest over the past year. Tactics are the activities that a team implements to carry out each strategy.
- 2022 Winner: Backbone Media and Bank of the West, "Money Matters Report: Revealing the Sustainability Intention Gap"
- 2021 Winner: Lynn Harris Medcalf and Adrenaline, "Believe in Banking: Platform with a Purpose"
- 2020 Winner: Landis Communications and the Peninsula Open Space Trust, “POST’s Coyote and Badger Adventure”
- Corporate Social Responsibility Honor Award - Each year this award recognizes the top corporate social responsibility communications plans, tactics, programs and/or campaigns for a specific widespread issue. This year, we are looking at efforts related to employee support programs (from mental health support to physical wellbeing programs and beyond). This is a FREE category to enter. Feel free to email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org for clarification or with any questions.
- 2020 Winner: Ketchum and Hewlett Packard Enterprise, “HPEs for Real Life”
- ATTENTION: all rules must be followed for qualification. Any submissions with missing elements will be disqualified.
- The awards program is open to all public relations professionals in the San Francisco Bay Area, including PRSA members and non-members.
- You may submit to any and all categories but cannot nominate the same agency for the small, midsize and big agency awards nor the same person for the young professional and professional of the year awards.
- Materials (campaigns, case study work) for consideration must have been completed during the period between June 1, 2022 to May 30, 2023.
- The early submissions period will be open May 1 through May 10, 2023 and includes discounted rates. The open submissions period will occur between May 11, 2023 and June 30, 2023 at the posted regular rates. Entries submitted between July 1, 2023 and July 15,2023 will be accepted and incur an additional $25 late fee on top of the standard entry price.
- Each submission must accompany an appropriate entry fee by the listed deadline. Any entry without a corresponding entry fee will be deemed invalid.
- IMPORTANT: Each submission must include a 300-word overview AND supporting materials in PDF Format. This PDF should include four key elements: Objective, Strategy, Execution and Results. These can also be presented as a traditional Research, Planning, Implementation and Evaluation structure. Entries for Team and Personal Awards must include the 300-word overview, but may include examples of work as supporting materials.
- The Chapter Leadership Award will be assessed by write-in nomination only. Nominees can be submitted directly to email@example.com. Please include full name and email for the individual, along with a brief (100-200 words) description of why the nominee should be considered.
- Judging will be performed by a sister PRSA chapter assigned by PRSA National. Prior to forwarding the entries to the judges, the PRSA San Francisco Bay Area Awards Committee will review each entry for the appropriateness of category and may make changes where appropriate. Decisions of the committee are final.
- Requests for additional information and specific questions about the competition can be directed to Katina Tinka Bush, 2023 Awards Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Information regarding membership can be directed to PRSA San Francisco Bay Area Chapter Membership Director Harper Schmidt at email@example.com.
- The PRSA San Francisco Bay Area Chapter Foggies Awards Ceremony, scheduled for Thursday, Ocotber 5, 2023, is still in the planning phases. However, any parties interested in sponsoring the awards ceremony should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About PRSA San Francisco Bay Area
Founded in 1947 and one of the five founding Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) Chapters, we are the Public Relations Society of America, San Francisco Bay Area Chapter (PRSA-SF). With a robust active membership of more than 300 PR professionals, PRSA-SF functions as a regional division of the Public Relations Society of America, Inc., and serves members within the territory as approved by the Society, including the nine counties of the San Francisco Bay Area: San Francisco, San Mateo, Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara, Solano, Napa, Sonoma and Marin.
Thank you to our sponsors!