Executive Communications Lead
Executive Communications Lead - 96900
Division: LD-Laboratory Directorate
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) has an opening for an Executive Communications Lead to join the Strategic Communications Department. Strategic Communications shares and promotes Berkeley Lab’s scientific, institutional, and operational priorities and successes with key audiences inside and outside Berkeley Lab, which conducts world-class research that supports clean energy, a healthy planet, and solution-inspired discovery science.
The Executive Communications Lead will serve as the functional lead for a small team providing end-to-end client-focused communications services to the Laboratory Director, Deputy Laboratory Director for Research, and Deputy Laboratory Director for Operations. Key responsibilities include working with senior leaders to develop presentations, videos, speeches, talking points, emails, and other forms of communication with consistent and strategically impactful messaging that engage and inform audiences about Berkeley Lab’s priorities, and that are in line with the Lab’s overall internal and external communications strategies.
What You Will Do:
- Work as a functional lead responsible for coordinating and executing Executive Communications at Berkeley Lab through coordinating the communications needs of the three senior executive leaders.
- Work with management, colleagues, and leaders to develop and institute repeatable standards, processes, and templates that result in consistently high-quality work products.
- Collaborate on the alignment of Berkeley Lab messaging across all audiences and serve as primary communications point of contact and support for leadership’s external and internal communications.
- Engage in strategic discussions with senior leaders and other Berkeley Lab stakeholders to collaboratively develop and maintain high-level communication priorities and products that effectively communicate the senior leaders’ vision and strategy.
- Build and implement a two-way interactive communications program between senior leaders and employees.
- Prepare, recommend and keep current strategic messaging parameters for senior leaders for a range of social, political, and community issues. Provide advice and counsel on social media persona and content.
- Collaborate closely with the Strategic Communications team and other senior leaders to map out meaningful engagements supporting institutional goals, including developing thought leadership and/or community engagement opportunities for senior leaders.
- Manage end-to-end internal and external communications plans, tactics, and outcomes, including the frequency and channels of communication. Ensure appropriate cross-functional reviews.
- Design and produce communication products that will engage and inform a variety of internal and external audiences; these may include slide presentations, videos, speeches, talking points, scripts, emails, live meetings, and other forms of communications.
- Develop change management communication plans and materials.
- Build strong relationships with and provide effective counsel to executives, providing advice that reflects an understanding of the organization, the leadership style and voice of the executives, and the highest standards of communications, public relations, change management, and other relevant expertise.
- Support Berkeley Lab in an emergency or crisis as a trained public information officer.
What is Required:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, or related field, or equivalent in experience.
- At least 8 years of related experience in institutional communications, including internal and executive communications, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working directly with senior executives on communications deliverables, including producing creative slide presentations and other communication materials.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; video, graphics, or other multimedia expertise a plus.
- Strong project management skills, including experience building and executing new programs and managing them to scale as well as planning and executing multiple projects simultaneously against tight deadlines.
- Effective team player who can work successfully and collaboratively in a matrixed organizational structure, and who can identify communication problems to be solved and actionable items to amplify to leadership.
- Experience evaluating the effectiveness of communication activities and recommending areas for improvement.
- Experience creating and executing prioritized communications plans.
- Ability to deploy best practices for communicating technical or scientific information to various audiences, including breaking down complex material into digestible bits of information.
- Proficient in the use of office software, including the Google suite of apps and MS Office. Proficient in WordPress and Google sites. Expert-level PowerPoint skills.
- This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position will be hired at a level commensurate with the business needs and the skills, knowledge, and abilities of the successful candidate.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- This position is eligible for a hybrid work schedule - a combination of teleworking and performing work on site at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA. Work schedules are dependent on business needs. Individuals working a hybrid schedule must reside within 150 miles of Berkeley Lab.
How To Apply
Apply directly online and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
- URL: http://188.8.131.52/counter.php?id=241074
- Location: Berkeley, CA
- Code: 96900
- Contact Method:
Apply directly online at http://184.108.40.206/counter.php?id=241074 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.